|Evangelical Lutheran Church Sanctuary - Lost Creek Township|
Postmark: PLATTE CENTER NEB MAR 11 1912 5 PM
Mr Wm Brunken
Mar 11, 1911.
Well we are having snow again yesterday morning it was 2 below zero
We are all well so far Peat Sumbrum died last Saturday a dog bit him & he died an half hour afterwards.
I suppose you will know this Picture We we[nt] to church yesterday Minnies baby was baptized
Well Bye Bye Mary
- "Mr Wm Brunken" is William Leopold Brunken, my grandfather.
- "Mary" is Clara Marie "Mary" (Petersen) Brunken, my grandmother.
- "We are all well" probably includes Mary's children - Leona Cecelia Brunken age 1, Harold Carsten Brunken age 3, and Hilda Ida Brunken age 5.
- "Peat Sumbrum" is probably Peter Zumbrum who was a charter member of Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church - Grand Prairie Township .
- "Minnie" is Minnie Christina (Petersen) Grossnicklaus, Mary's half-sister.
- "Minnie's baby" is Gladys Grossnicklaus (born 24 Jan 1912).
StoryMy grandmother Brunken is visiting with relatives near Platte Center, Nebraska. And, my grandmother expects that my grandfather Brunken will recognize the church sanctuary shown on the front of the postcard. My guess is that the church is Evangelical Lutheran Church - Lost Creek Township for two reasons: 1) At the time this post card was written, Carsten Petersen family members, with whom my grandmother was likely visting, were parishioners of Evangelical Lutheran Church - Lost Creek Township  2) My grandmother and grandfather were married in Evangelical Lutheran Church - Lost Creek Township on March 15, 1905 an this postcard was mailed just prior to their seventh wedding anniversary.
DateMarch 11, 1912. The year, 1911, written on the postcard is incorrect. The postmark is 1912 and Minnie's first child was born 24 Jan 1912.
LocationThe Evangelical Lutheran Church was located in Lost Creek Township Section 8, four miles west and one mile north of Platte Center, Nebraska.
- Curry, Margaret. The History of Platte County, Nebraska. Murry & Gee. Culver City, California. 1950. p 271. - Zion Lutheran Church [Grand Prairie Township]. http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ne/topic/resources/OLLibrary/Platte/pages/hpcn0048.htm
- Carolyn Petersen affirmed that this is a picture of the sanctuary of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Lost Creek Township during a telephone conversation on September 22, 2014. The bottom half of the alter is currently in the basement of Faith Lutheran Church in Platte Center, Nebraska and serves as the Sunday school alter.
- Curry, Margaret. The History of Platte County, Nebraska. Murry & Gee. Culver City, California. 1950. p 260. - Zion Lutheran Church [Lost Creek Township]. http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ne/topic/resources/OLLibrary/Platte/pages/hpcn0046a.htm